St. Bernard’s was established in 1952 by the Sisters of Mercy, who ran the school until 1986. The school has undergone a number of changes, most recently a complete upgrade of the Kindy/Pre-Primary playground and moving our Year 3/4 classroom to a more modern and much larger building. St. Bernard’s is an integral part of the town of the Kojonup, being one of the longest surviving institutions and responsible for the primary school education of many within the local community.
The school’s crest was designed by one of St Bernard’s early teaching sisters, Sr. Vincent, and it contains the following elements:
The BIBLE: reflects the message of God which guides all our behaviour
Our motto: RESPICE STELLAM which means Look to/Reach for the stars
The image of the SHEEP: reflecting the strong agricultural community of Kojonup
The letter M for Mercy: both for the Sisters of Mercy and for our call to demonstrate care, compassion, reconciliation and understanding to all peoples, especially the disadvantaged
The STAR: represents our motto and our call to follow Christ
Look to the Star